Medicare will mail new Medicare cards beginning April 2018. To help protect your identity, your new card will have a unique Medicare Number instead of your Social Security Number. The new card wonâ€™t change your coverage or benefits.
Hereâ€™s what you need to know:
- Your new card will have a new Medicare Number thatâ€™s unique to you, instead of your Social Security Number. This will help to protect your identity.
- You donâ€™t need to do anything to get your new card, but you should make sure your mailing address is up to date.
- If your address needs to be corrected, contact Social Security at ssa.gov/myaccount or (800) 772-1213. TTY users can call (800) 325-0778.
- Medicare will never call you uninvited and ask for your personal information. Beware of anyone who contacts you about your new Medicare card.
- Understand that mailing everyone a new card will take some time. Your card might arrive at a different time than your friendâ€™s or neighborâ€™s.
- Once you receive your new card, you can start using it right away.
Visit go.Medicare.gov/newcard for more information.