“The personal care is so outstanding.”
Meet Our Nurse Navigators
Karen Aaron, RN, BSN, OCN, CN, BN, Oncology Certified Nurse, has more than 25 years experience at Tahoe Forest Hospital. Karen has made enormous contributions to patient care efforts here, earning her Nurse of the Year recognition. She specializes in medical and radiation oncology nursing. Karen understands the key to recovery is establishing relationships with patients, and supporting them throughout their illness.
Jaime Young, BSN, RN, OCN, grew up in the Adirondack region of New York and briefly lived at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon before moving to Reno in 2006. She graduated nursing school at Truckee Meadows Community College in 2010 and obtained her Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 2015 at Western Governors University. Jaime has practiced in the oncology field since 2011 and has been working in radiation therapy since 2013.
How Can a Nurse Navigator Help You?
- Help you understand your diagnosis and answer clinical questions
- Support in understanding medical terminology and medical test results
- Give you symptom management tools
- Assure appropriate and timely appointments
- Ensure clinicians have appropriate information for visit
- Assist with efficient scheduling of needed exams
- Coordinate resources including support, nutrition, massage and integrative therapies
- Introduce you to members of your treatment team
- Help you through issues that may arise, including transportation, finances, insurance, fear or anxiety, family support, communication
Help You Find Your Way
- Your treatment journey will have many steps that may take you to different locations and specialists throughout the health system
Be Your Advocate
- Nurse navigators are champions for their patients, making sure they get everything they need for their treatment. As your journey evolves, your nurse navigator will remain a constant throughout your experience.
What is the Nurse Navigator Program?
When faced with a cancer diagnosis, patients are forced to deal with a host of emotional, logistical and financial issues, making it difficult to focus on their treatment and their return to health. The Nurse Navigator Program at the Gene Upshaw Memorial Tahoe Forest Cancer Center is designed help patients move easily through the process, so they can focus on healing.
Our nurse navigator is responsible for facilitating timely and appropriate care. She is there to provide support to you and your family, before during and after treatment. Our Nurse Navigator knows that your well-being and peace of mind are an essential part of your treatment.
Who is eligible for Nurse Navigation Services?
All patients at the Gene Upshaw Memorial Tahoe Forest Cancer Center receive navigation services at no cost.
For more information, please call (530) 582-6450 or email email@example.com.